16 January 2018 – Citizens Advice LeicesterShire is helping Leicestershire residents to keep a warm home this winter and save money on energy usage
This winter’s cold snaps highlight how important it is to keep a warm home during the winter months. People are at greater risk of illness and preventable death as a result of living in a cold home. This is particularly true for those who are vulnerable to the cold such as older people, young children and people with health problems or disabilities.
Government figures show over 54,000 households across Leicester and Leicestershire are in fuel poverty.
Citizens Advice LeicesterShire is giving free Energy Health Check to all Leicestershire residents at our branches and outreaches across Leicester and the county.
This will include a free Energy Health Check drop-in event in Leicester city centre to mark Big Energy Saving Week 2018 (22 to 28 January 2018). This will take place on Thursday 25 January, 9.30am – 1.30pm. The event is open to residents of both Leicester and Leicestershire.
At the Energy Health Check, we will talk people through the ways they can keep their home warm when the temperature drops. This includes:
- Ensuring they are not paying more than they need to for gas and electricity.
- Checking if they are eligible for grants for home improvements to increase energy efficiency, reduce draughts or new boilers.
- Signing up to the Priority Service Register, a free service that provides additional services for those who need it, including priority support in an emergency.
- Qualifying households can apply for the Warm Home Discount – a £140 one-off discount on energy bills paid directly to the supplier. This does not affect the Winter Fuel Payment or Cold Weather Payment.
Tony Wells, Service Leader of Blaby and Harborough Districts, said:
“We have had some particularly harsh spells of cold weather this winter, which increases the risk of illness, particularly among older age groups and people suffering with health problems.
“If you are struggling to keep your home warm this winter, come and see Citizens Advice LeicesterShire for free Energy Health Check. Or, if you are worried about someone you know keeping warm, tell them to come and see us, or you are very welcome to come along on their behalf.”
Citizens Advice LeicesterShire has already helped residents of Leicestershire to save thousands of pounds on their energy bills in 2017. One man was told he could save £800 a year by switching to a cheaper supplier.
There are three ways to get a free Energy Health check before March 2018:
- Drop into our free Energy Health Check event on 25 January 2018, 9.30am – 1.30pm, at Age UK Clarence House on Humberstone Gate.
- If you can’t make it on the 25th, drop in to your local branch of Citizens Advice LeicesterShire (drop-in available at Blaby, Coalville, Hinckley, Market Harborough, Melton Mowbray and Oadby & Wigston – see our website for opening times), or call 0300 330 1025 to make an appointment in Leicester city.
- Use the price comparison tool to compare prices from different energy suppliers. Let us know what you could save on Twitter and Facebook! #BESW2018.