Press release 09/04/20
Citizens Advice LeicesterShire delivering advice in a way that suits you
Since the current lockdown started on 23rd March, Citizens Advice LeicesterShire has continued delivering free, independent advice to people who are struggling.
Our fully-trained, qualified and experienced advisers have set up workstations in dining-rooms, bedrooms and broom-cupboards, and are busy giving advice on benefits, employment (including furlough), food poverty and many other problems that have arisen or been made worse by the coronavirus lockdown. Since 23rd March we have helped 430 County residents alone, with 1433 problems. 162 residents have received help to claim Universal Credit.
We are helping clients negotiate the benefits system – many for the first time – providing accurate and up-to-date advice: this includes advice on government promises to both employers and employees. We have also continued to ensure that some of our most vulnerable neighbours have food and fuel.
In addition to their immediate circumstances, many people may shortly begin to experience problems with debt, due to fallout from the pandemic. The earlier you get specialist advice about managing debt, the more easily we can help you sort it out. County residents can ring our Money Advice team on 0116 4647239 or email , and City residents should contact the Community Advice and Law Service (CALS) https://www.cals.uk.net/.
There are a number of ways people can continue to get advice from us at the moment. The easiest method for non-emergency enquiries is email. You can email us at any time by visiting our website and filling in a webform https://citizensadviceleicestershire.org/get-advice/email-advice/ and we will get back to you within two working days. In addition to email we also offer the following:
- General advice can be given over the phone from 9am until 4.30pm Monday through Friday to City residents on 0300 3301025 and to County residents on 0300 3302111.
- County residents looking for help with debt issues can ring our Money Advice service on 0116 464 7239 or email . City residents use the general advice number.
- Those looking for advice on consumer issues (e.g. issues related to products or services you’ve purchased) can contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133.
- Anyone seeking to make a new claim for Universal Credit should call the Universal Credit Help to Claim line on 0800 1448444.
- For welfare benefits advice, specifically for people affected by cancer, ring our Macmillan team on 0300 4568400.
Please be aware that waiting times for these services may be longer than usual as we are getting an increased volume of people trying to access our services right now.
Richard Evans, Chief Officer of Citizens Advice LeicesterShire, said:
‘Although we are missing the face-to-face interaction with our clients, I am really proud of the way we have been able to continue to deliver our advice service to people across Leicestershire. We are privileged to be able to help people in all sorts of different circumstances who have been affected by this pandemic
‘In these strange and unsettling times, Citizens Advice LeicesterShire remains a constant. You will be able to turn to us for support throughout the present crisis and well beyond, whatever the future holds.’
For more information please contact:
Su Strange, Communications Officer, Citizens Advice LeicesterShire