Energy Best Deal
Citizens Advice has been working on Energy Best Deal since 2008, with support from the energy regulator Ofgem and major energy companies. This is an ongoing project.
Energy Best Deal is a client campaign that helps clients on low incomes to:
- Reduce energy costs
- Compare and switch energy suppliers
- Keep up with bill payments
- Use less energy in their homes
Citizens Advice LeicesterShire offers free Energy Health Checks. This is a free, specialist advice service where we can talk you through the ways you can keep your home warm when the temperature drops.
- Ensuring you are not paying more than you need to for gas and electricity.
- Checking if you are eligible for grants for home improvements to increase energy efficiency, reduce draughts or install a new boiler.
- Support you to sign up to the Priority Service Register if you need to, a free service that provides additional services, including priority support in an emergency.
- Qualifying households can apply for the Warm Home Discount – a £140 one-off discount on energy bills paid directly to the supplier.
A better deal on energy gives households more money to spend on other things.
Many of the best deals are now online-only, which means people who do not have access to the internet are forced to pay more.
We are using the Roadshows to reach the people who could benefit most from switching, many of whom are older or not online. Some have been with their supplier for years, meaning they are very likely to make a saving.
The average saving is around £200 per year. We also give advice on other issues, such as benefits and grants, and energy saving at home.
Case study: Harborough resident:
“I found the whole process very, very helpful. The advisor took the time to understand my situation and tell me, not only the different tariffs available, but also things like my usage and how I prefer to pay.
“It was also really useful to talk about the new smaller suppliers on the market, not just the big six.
“I was with my previous supplier for many years, as my father was before me. But as time went on and the company changed hands I found it more and more difficult to actually talk to anyone about my bill.
“They have now lost us as loyal customers.
“I would recommend people go to one of the Citizens Advice Roadshows if you can, because change really is to your advantage. I saved £150 and now have a supplier that I am happy with.”
You can also visit your local branch or call 0300 330 1025 to find out if you could save money on gas and electricity bills.
Download an Energy Best Deal Booklet 2017.
This is a guide to help you get the best deal from your energy supplier. It highlights the help that is available from suppliers and government if you are struggling to pay your energy bills.